About ISO 22000 Food Safety Certification
ISO 22000 Standard is a Food safety management system specifies the requirements for an organization in food chain to demonstrate its ability to control food safety hazards in order to ensure that food is safe at the time of human consumption. The ISO 22000 certification that combines the key elements - interactive communication, system management and HACCP principles to ensure food safety within the food chain, up to the point of final consumption. The FSMS standard integrates the requirements of HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) principals and applicable step of the HACCP principal. Key focus of this is standard to ensure that food is safe at the time of consumption. The organization shall achieve through effective food safety hazard analysis, implementation of PRP’s, HACCP plan, CCP and establishing effective control measure. This FSMS Standard is generic and applicable to all organizations in the food chain regardless of size and complexity.
The summarized requirement details of ISO 22000 are given below :
General Requirements of Food Safety Management System (FSMS)
Which include the requirement of – development, documentation, implementation of Food Safety Management System (FSMS) as per ISO 22000 certification requirement, define the scope of food safety management system and specify the Products or product categories, processes and production sites which is covered under food safety management system.
Which include the requirement of - food safety policy, objective, procedures & records. Control of documents, control of records.
Which include the requirement of - Management commitment, Food safety policy, Food safety management system planning , Responsibility and authority, Food safety team leader, Communication, Emergency preparedness and response, Management review.
Which include the requirement of - Provision of resources, Human resources, Infrastructure, Work environment.
Planning And Realization Of Safe Products
Which include the requirement of - Prerequisite programs (PRPs), Preliminary steps to enable hazard analysis, Hazard analysis, Establishing the operational prerequisite programs (PRPs), Establishing the HACCP plan, Updating of preliminary information and documents specifying the PRPs and the HACCP plan, Verification planning, Trace-ability system, Control of nonconformity.
Validation, Verification and Improvement of The Food Safety Management System
Which include the requirement of - Validation of control measure combinations, Control of monitoring and measuring, Food Safety Management System verification, improvement.
Benefits of ISO 22000 Certification
- Minimize the Food safety Hazards contamination in food.
- Reduce the potential Food born diseases, which may cause due contamination of food.
- Improve Compliance level with applicable statutory and regulatory food safety requirements
- Effective communication on food safety issues to their suppliers, customers and relevant interested parties in the food chain
- Improve the business potential among the competitor.
- Improve the confidence of customer and interested party.
- Reduce wastage of raw materials & time
- Improved Operation control towards employee health and safety.
- Improve the food safety during emergency situation.
- Improve the identification, traceability and product recall system.
- Improve the credibility of product among the customer
- Overall Improvement of organization reputation in the market.
- Business opportunity improved.
Applicant organization shall ensure the followings prior to ISO 22000 Certification (Food Safety Management System Certification)
- Organization has implemented the Food Safety Management System in the organization as per the requirements of ISO 22000 standard. Established the Food safety Quality Manual, Food Safety Policy, relevant procedures and SOP’S.
- Conducted one complete cycle Food Safety Management System Internal Audit.
- Conducted at least one Management review meeting on Food Safety Management System
ISO 22000 - Food Safety Management System Certification Process
- Application review and contract Sign up between OSS and applicant organization.
- Stage-1 Audit.
- Stage-2 Audit.
- Certification decision
- Issue of certificate.
- Surveillance audit (annually or Half yearly as finalized during application review process and agreed by client).
- Re-Certification Audit (within three years before expiry of certificate).