Before striking a deal, it is in buyer’s own interest to get the deal materialized in a smooth way. Any contingency in the workplace due to occupational injury can financially put the buyer at risk. Therefore, a factory inspector conductsoccupational health and safety check to know that all security measures are met like fire safety norms, electric shock protection, fall risk, handling of heavy equipment, etc. Safety audit ensures continuity in operations and secures employee life.
OSS Certification is in practice of conducting Safety Audit , since year 2008 for various Industry and Institutions .
The Objective of the Safety Audit to:
- Verify compliance with current practices implemented by the organization of Safety – Specially in terms of Human safety , Environmental safety - which is required in Industrial code of Practice , Factor Act or standards, Local Govt. regulations, organization internal policies and industry wise standards of practice.
- Identify the Gap Between current practice made by organization of Safety issue vs requirements of current regulations/Industrial practices, procedure and standards.
- Identify significant Safety issues .
In today’s world Industries which handle large quantities of hazardous substances are required to demonstrate their capability to design, locate, operate and maintain facilities to standards acceptable to the Govt body and public.
There is no single ideal system of Hazard identification procedures. Among the methods available for occupiers and managers of hazardous installations to check and reassure the effectiveness of procedures and methods followed on safety, the most useful tool is Safety Audit. Health and Safety Executive of UK defines Safety Audit, “as the structured process of collecting independent information on the efficiency, effectiveness and reliability of the total health and safety management system and drawing up plan for corrective action”.
Safety Audit is normally carried out by third party and will examine all facilities and activities of an organization from the angle of safety, assess the current level of prevention, protection and emergency management preparedness and subsequently prepare an action plan to handle the emergency situations,
Safety Audits are normally conducted with following objectives:
To carry out a systematic, critical appraisal of all potential hazards involving personnel, plant, services and operation method; and to ensure that Safety and Health system fully satisfy the legal requirement and those of the company’s written safety policies, objectives and progress.
Depending on the requirements of the organizations, the audit can focus attention on the following aspects of a safety system:
- Safety Management systems
- Fire and Explosion prevention, protection and emergency management
- Work injury prevention
- Health hazards control
- Evaluating emergency plan if already available
After the objectives of the study are accepted next step would be collection of information. A detailed description of type of data that need to be collected is sent on acceptance of this proposal.
Benefits of Safety Audit are:
- Identifies loss producing events
- Assess the potential losses associated with the risk
- Identifies measures to minimize the losses
- Identifies system deficiencies.
There are several different types of safety audits provided as under,
- Construction Safety Audit
- Electrical Safety Audit
- Road Safety Audit Report
- Factory Safety Audit,
- Fire Safety Audit,