How to get ISO 45001 Certification
ISO 45001 standard last release is in the year 2018, which suppresses OHSAS 18001-2007, it is designed to focus on personnel health & safety of the workers and to manage OHS risk to prevent Injuries, ill-health conditions at the workplace & Work-related safety to workers, contractors & interested parties, and to provide safe and healthy workplaces. Personnel safety is the key requirement of the OHS management system.
ISO 45001 employs the process approach that enables an organization to plan its processes and their interactions. The PDCA cycle enables to ensure that its processes are adequately resourced and managed. For the implementation of ISO 45001:2018 any organization can follow the P-D-C-A.
P- Plan: determine and assess OH&S risk, OHS opportunities, and other risk and other opportunities, establish OH&S objectives and processes necessary to deliver results in accordance with the organizations OH&S Policy,
D- O: implement the processes as planned,
C-Check: Monitor & Measure activities and processes with regard to the OH&S Policy and objectives and report the results.
The successes factor of the OHSMS Management system depends on the leadership, commitment and participation from all level and function of the organization.
The implementation and maintenance of an OHS management system, its effectiveness and ability to meet the intend outcome depend on several factors such as
- Top management involvement, it’s quality of leadership, commitment, responsibilities, and accountabilities
- Top management developing, leading and promoting safe working culture at the workplace
- The proper channel of communication
- Consultation and participation of workers & where they exist, workers representative
- Allocation of the necessary resource to maintain it,
- Organizations policy computable with overall strategic objectives and directions of the organization
- An effective process for hazards identification, risk assessment, controlling the risk and taking advantage of the opportunities
- Continual improvements in OHS performance
- Integration of the OH&S management system into the organization’s business processes.
- Compliance with its legal and other requirements.
Documents required for ISO 45001 Certification
The key documents required for ISO 45001 Certification are given below as reference (But not Limited)
- Manual, Documented information,
- Health and Safety Policy
- Internal and external issues,
- Hazard identification and risk assessment register
- Accident incident register
- Legal register
- OHS performance monitoring
- List of contractors/ outsourcing processes.
- Mock drill record
- Internal audit
- Management review
- Corrective Action record.
- Record of Continual Improvements
Benefits of ISO 45001 Certification
- Hazards are controlled
- Risk is reduced
- Increase in opportunities for improvements
- Legal compliances are met
- Less accidents
- Satisfied works
- Increase in stakeholders
- Improves profit of the organization
- Reduces insurance premium
- Increases trust of workers
- Improves individuals safety at workplace
- Preventive risk & hazard assessment
How to go for ISO 45001 certification.
- Implement the system
- Conduct one cycle of internal audit to check the effectiveness of the implementation
- Conduct one cycle of management review meeting
- Close the gap/ NC found during the internal audit
- Identify an ISO Certification Body for ISO 45001 certification
- Apply for certification
- Get the audit performed
- Close the audit findings if any
- Obtain certification.