ISO 14001:2015 standard published on 15th September 2015 it is the 3rd edition of EMS, this standard will replace ISO 14001:2004. The ISO 14001:2004 Standard – will not valid for certification – 3 years from date of publication of ISO 14001:2015.
ISO 14001:2015 -This standard is known as Environmental Management System – The organization can implement this standard to enhance the organizational Environmental performance, Fulfill the compliance obligations (Legal and Other Requirements) and meets the Environmental objectives of the organization.
This EMS standard applies to any organization in case of any size, type, and applicable Environmental aspects, product, and services that the organization determines it can either control or influence considering a life cycle perspective.
The new requirements / Concept added to this standard are
Risk Base Thinking – for Environmental Management System
As the current business practices, there is a big challenge to the Organization to improve environmental performance and keep improving the Performance. There are various factors affecting – which include – Scarcity of Natural Resources, amendments in compliance obligation, frequent changes in the expectations of interested Party etc. So environmental management has become crucial to overall business management
Risk-based thinking for Environmental Management provides a systematic and planned approach to manage environmental issues such as Significant Environmental aspects, Compliance obligations, expectations of Interested Party which are likely to impact the organization. Risk Assessment and providing the opportunity of improvements
The Environmental Policy shall include the commitments to protection of Environment including prevention of Pollution and other Specific commitments relevant to the context of the organization.
Address the Risk and Opportunity
Determination of Risk and Opportunity related to its environmental aspects, Compliance Obligations, Internal & External Issues and Need and Expectations of Interested Party.
Operational Planning and Control
The Requirements of life cycle perspective
ISO 14001:2015 Requirements
The ISO 14001:2015 requirements for Implementation is given in Clause # 4 to Clause # 10 of this standard. Are Given below
Benefits for ISO 14001:2015 Certification for an Organization.
A systematic approach to environmental management can provide top management with information to build success over the long term and create options for contributing to sustainable development by:
– Protecting the organization from adverse Environmental aspects produced by the organization from significant Environmental Impact.
– Preventing the organization for the potential adverse effect of environmental conditions on the organization
– Complying to Applicable Legal and other requirements and keep up to date the compliances. Protecting organization for any penalty or any other Serious issue of Compliances.
– Over the environmental performance of the organization improved.
– controlling or influencing the way the organization’s products and services are designed,
manufactured, distributed, consumed and disposed of by using a life cycle perspective that can
prevent environmental impacts from being unintentionally shifted elsewhere within the life cycle
– achieving financial and operational benefits.
– Credibility among stokehold enhanced and strengthen the organization’s market position
– Contribute to the nation against Environmental protection.
– Interested Party Satisfaction level improved
Documentation requirements for ISO 14001:2015 Certification
The following documents are required to demonstrate the implementation of EMS in the organization (But it is not Limited)
– Record of Internal External issues related to EMS
-Record of Needs and Expectations of Interested Party related to EMS
– EMS Policy and Objectives
– Record of Role and Responsibility
– Record of Environmental aspects and analysis of its Impact
-Record of Risk Analysis
– Record of Compliance Obligation – Applicable legal and other requirements and its compliances
-Record of Competency, Awareness, and Communication
-Control of Documents and Control of Records
– Record of Operational Planning and controls
– Record of Mock Drill for Emergency Situations
– Record of EMS performance Monitoring
– Record of Internal Audit
-Record of Management Review meeting
-Record of Nonconformity and corrective action
– Record of Continual Improvements and its program