ISO 14001 Certification and ISO 14001:2015 requirements
ISO 14001:2015 standard published on 15th September 2015 it is a 3rd edition of EMS, this standard will replace ISO 14001:2004. The ISO 14001:2004 Standard – will not be valid for certification – 3 years from the date of publication of ISO 14001:2015.
ISO 14001:2015 -This standard is known as Environmental Management System – The organization can implement this standard to enhance the organizational Environmental performance, Fulfill the compliance obligations (Legal and Other Requirements) and meets the Environmental objectives of the organization.
This EMS standard is applicable to any organization in case of any size, type, and applicable Environmental aspects, products, and services that the organization determines it can either control or influence considering a life cycle perspective.
The new requirements / Concept added to this standard are
Risk Base Thinking – for Environmental Management System
As the current business practices, there is a big challenge to the Organization to improve environmental performance and keep improving the Performance. There are various factors affecting – which include – Scarcity of Natural Resources, amendments in compliance obligation, frequent changes in the expectations of interested parties, etc. So environmental management has become crucial to overall business management.
Risk-based thinking for Environmental Management provides a systematic and planned approach to manage environmental issues such as Significant Environmental aspects, Compliance obligations, expectations of Interested Party which are likely to impact the organization. Risk Assessment and providing the opportunity for improvements.
The Environmental Policy shall include the commitments to the protection of the Environment including prevention of Pollution and other Specific commitments relevant to the context of the organization.
Address the Risk and Opportunity
Determination of Risk and Opportunity related to its environmental aspects, Compliance Obligations, Internal & External Issues and Need and Expectations of Interested Party.
Operational Planning and Control
The Requirements of life cycle perspective
- During the design and development process for the product or service, considering each life cycle stage and ensure that its environmental requirement is addressed.
- While procurement of products and services determine its environmental requirements.
- The organization shall communicate its relevant environmental requirement(s) to external providers, including contractors.
- The Organization shall provide information about potential significant environmental impacts associated with the transportation or delivery, use, end-of-life treatment and final disposal of its products and services.
ISO 14001 Certification requirements
The ISO 14001:2015 requirements for Implementation is given in Clause # 4 to Clause # 10 of this standard. Are Given below
- Context of the Organization
- Understanding the organization and its context
- Understanding the needs and expectations of interested parties
- Determining the scope of the environmental management system
- Environmental management system
- Leadership and commitment
- Environmental policy
- Organizational roles, responsibilities, and authorities
- Actions to address risks and opportunities
- Environmental aspects
- Compliance obligations
- Environmental objectives and planning to achieve them
- Resources, Competence, Awareness, Communication, Documented information
- Operational planning and control
- Emergency preparedness and response
- Monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation
- Evaluation of compliance
- Internal audit
- Management review
Benefits Of ISO 14001 Certification
- Improve the environmental performance of the organization
- Environmental pollution reduced.
- Compliance with Legal and regulatory requirements related to Environment
- Awareness about the preparedness of potential Emergency situation.
- Improve the business potential among the competitor.
- Reduce wastage of Energy, natural resources, Raw materials.
- Operation control over the process shall improve.
- Commitment to Nation towards reducing pollution and compliance with legal regulatory requirement shall improve.- Protecting the organization from adverse Environmental aspects produced by the organization from significant Environmental Impact.- Preventing the organization for the potential adverse effects of environmental conditions on the organization- Complying to Applicable Legal and other requirements and keep up to date the compliance. Protecting organization for any penalty or any other Serious issue of Compliance.- Overall environmental performance of the organization improved.- controlling or influencing the way the organization’s products and services are designed, manufactured, distributed, consumed and disposed of by using a life cycle perspective that can prevent environmental impacts from being unintentionally shifted elsewhere within the life cycle- achieving financial and operational benefits.- Credibility among stakeholder enhanced and strengthen the organization’s market position- Contribute to the nation against Environmental protection.- Interested Party Satisfaction level improved.
Applicant Organization Shall Ensure The Followings Prior to Apply for ISO 14001 Certification (Environmental Management System Certification)
- Implementation of the Environmental Management System in the organization. Established the Quality Manual, relevant procedures and SOP’s
- Conducted one complete cycle Environmental Management System Internal Audit.
- Conducted at least one Management review meeting on Environmental Management System.
- Applicable Legal requirements related to Environmental management systems have been identified and compliance has been established.
- Significant Environmental Aspects has been identified and its operational control has been implemented.
- Potential Environmental emergency situation has been identified and its preparedness has been established.
Documentation requirements for ISO 14001:2015 Certification
The following documents are required to demonstrate the implementation of EMS in the organization (But it is not Limited)
– Record of Internal External issues related to EMS
-Record of Needs and Expectations of Interested Party related to EMS
– EMS Policy and Objectives
– Record of Role and Responsibility
– Record of Environmental aspects and analysis of its Impact
– Record of Risk Analysis
– Record of Compliance Obligation – Applicable legal and other requirements and its compliances
– Record of Competency, Awareness, and Communication
– Control of Documents and Control of Records
– Record of Operational Planning and controls
– Record of Mock Drill for Emergency Situations
– Record of EMS performance Monitoring
– Record of Internal Audit
-Record of Management Review meeting
-Record of Nonconformity and corrective action
– Record of Continual Improvements and its program
The Organization may appoint ISO Certification Consultants or ISO 14001 Consultant for Training and Implementation of ISO 14001 in the organization.
ISO 14001 – Environmental Management System Certification Process
- Application review and contract Sign up between us and applicant organization.
- Stage-1 Audit.
- Stage-2 Audit.
- Review of Audit File
- Certification decision
- Issue of certificate.
- Surveillance audit (annually or Half-yearly as finalized during the application review process and agreed by the client).
- Re-Certification Audit (within three years before the expiry of certificate).
For ISO 14001 certification, the organization can find ISO Certification body in Delhi or ISO Certification Body, nearby their Location, and get the proposal for ISO 14001 Certification. Or Directly contact us for ISO 14001 Certification.