ISO 22000 Certification
ISO 22000 is Food Safety Management System Standard, the latest revision of Food Safety Management System Standard is ISO 22000:2018, published in year 2018 and now it has replaced ISO 22000:2005.
Food Safety Management System Certification -ISO 22000
This Food Safety Management System is applicable to specific organization – who are involve in Food Supply Chain business.
The overall the objective for Food Safety Management System (FSMS) – ISO 22000 to enhance the Food safety performance among the Food Supply chain, by proper Food Safety Hazard Analysis, Risk Assessment, implementing the proper control measure & monitoring system, Awareness and maintain the compliances of applicable Legal requirement related to Food Safety.
The Food Safety hazard may contaminate at any stage of Food Supply chain – which could affect the Food Quality. The basic principle of Food Safety implementation can add the value to supply chain for Food Safety, which are
- Awareness and Communication – On Food Safety and Food Safety Hazards
- Prerequisite programmes
- Adopt HACCP Principle
- Involvement and participation of people
ISO 22000 Food Safety Management System Certification
The organization planning for ISO 22000 Food Safety Management System Certification, they required to have the proper implementation of Food Safety Management System (FSMS) in the organization, by developing the Food Safety Policy, Objective, Process Flow Chart, HACCP Plan, etc , and many other requirements of ISO 22000 . The effective implementation of ISO 22000- Food Safety Management System in the organization – will enhance the overall Food Safety Performance of the organization and Customer Satisfaction.
Requirement of ISO 22000 Food Safety Management System Standard
The key requirement of ISO 22000 Food Safety Management System for implementation of Food Safety Management System (FSMS) are provided in ISO 22000:2018 standard from Clause # 4 to Clause # 10. When the organization planning for FSMS implementation in the organization for ISO 22000 Certification may focus in these requirements for implementation prior to FSMS Certification.
The Key requirements of ISO 22000 are provided below for understanding the overall FSMS key requirement – which could help the organization who are seeking to implement FSMS for Food Safety Management System Certification in the organization.
Context of the organization
As per the requirements of Context of the organization, the following points to be considered,
- Internal and External issues in the context of Food Safety Management system. There are several internal and external issues which might affect the Food Safety Management System of the organization. The Few Examples for Issues may be – Technological, Legal, market competition, Economic environment, Cultural, Social, Food Fraud, Knowledge, Performance etc. So, organization can look into the its organization activities and identify the issues – which may be internal and External – which are affecting the Food Safety of the organization. As much possible address the issues by proper analysis and necessary action control measures.
- Understanding the Needs and Expectations of Interested Party – Identify the needs & Expectation of Interested Party – For Example – Your Customer – what is the expectations of your customer regarding Food Safety of your product / services. Similarly for regulatory Body – Food Safety expectation – So in the manner – you can find the needs of Expectations of all your interested party and address then
- Define the process, product, activities, physical address – which to be covered into the Food Safety Management System implementation, document the same.
As per the requirements of Leadership, the following points to considered for Food Safety Management System,
The Top Management of the organization take the Leadership and commitment for Food Safety Management System of the organization by
- Establishing the Food Safety Policy and Objective of the organization.
- Ensuring the availability of Resources to meet the Food Safety of the organization
- Communicating the Food Safety Requirement, Motivating the Team for Food Safety – By providing Awareness, Training and other necessary possible activities.
- Establishing the Role, Responsibility and Authority of employee at each level for Food Safety Management
As per the requirements of Planning, the following points to considered for Food Safety Management System,
- Actions to address risks and opportunities – where organization do the Risk Analysis of Internal, External Issues, Food Safety Hazard Risk Assessment,
- Review & Analysis of Needs and Expectations of Interested Party
- Review & Analysis Food Safety Legal requirement
- Food Safety Objective
The key requirements for food Safety Management System under the Operation are as provided below (but it is not Limited)
- Prerequisite programmes (PRPs) – where the organization consider the construction, lay-out of buildings, lay-out of premises, air, water, energy and other utilities, cross contamination, personal hygiene, Sanitation etc many other points to be considered including these activities in view of Food Safety Management of the organization.
- Traceability system – The organization shall implement the traceability system – so that the product can be traceable as when required.
- Emergency preparedness and response – The organization shall identify the potential Food Safety Emergency situations, make the necessary preparedness. So as when there is any emergency situation occurred – the necessary action to be taken.
- Preparation of the process flow diagrams- Prepare the Process Flow diagram for each product.
- Hazard identification and determination of acceptable levels- Do the Food Safety Hazard Analysis and establish the acceptable limit
- Hazard control plan (HACCP/OPRP plan) Determination of critical limits and action criteria- Develop the HACCP plan and OPRP Plan – identify the critical limits and its monitoring system.
- Control of product and process nonconformities – Develop the monitoring of non-conforming products
- Develop the system for Handling of potentially unsafe products
- Develop the Withdrawal/recall System
The above are the key requirement of food Safety management system, but for more detailed requirement you may refer to ISO 22000:2018 Food Safety Management System Standard.
Apart from these requirements and documentation, the organization do the proper Internal Audit and Management review meeting before proceeding for ISO 22000 Certification.
Benefits of ISO 22000 Certification
The key Benefits of ISO 22000 Certificate are
- Overall Food Safety of Product improve
- Customer Satisfaction Enhanced
- Reduce the Rejections
- Compliances to Applicable Food Safety Legal Requirements enhanced
- Overall Productivity of the organization Improve
- Enhancement of Credibility of the organization among the Customer
ISO 22000 Certification Process
- Implement the ISO 22000 – Food Safety Management System
- Apply to ISO Certification Body who provides accredited ISO 22000 Certification
- Audit Team from Certification Body will visit your organization for Assessment
- After the assessment and Certification Decision your organization will be awarded for ISO 22000 certification
For more Information about ISO 22000 Certification process and how to apply for ISO 22000 Certification, kindly watch the Video provided below, which will help you understand more better about ISO 22000 Certification process.