ISO 45001 Certification
ISO 45001 Certification – ISO 45001:2018 is an Occupational Health and Safety Management System Standard This was published in year 2018 and this standard has replaced the OHSAS 18001.
So now Occupational Health Safety Management System Standard is ISO 45001:2018,
Any Organization seeking for enhancements of OHS (Occupational Health Safety) performance of the organization, reducing the Risk significant OHS hazard to prevent the accident, Incidents and meeting the OHS applicable legal/ regulatory and other requirements. The organization adopt to implement ISO 45001:2018 in the organization and get ISO 45001 Certification by accredited ISO Certification Body.
What is ISO 45001 Health & Safety Management System?
ISO 45001 is an occupational Health & Safety Management System – This standard has 10 Clauses from Clause # 1 to Clause # 10 – But the requirement for implementation of OHS Management is given in clause 4 to clause 10. The main objective of OHS Management System Standard is to provide safe and healthy workplace, prevent work related injury, ill health to those who are affected by the activities of the organization and maintain the compliance to applicable legal requirements related to OHS.
Summarized requirement of ISO 45001:2018 is given below – which could help the organization has overall understanding the requirements of ISO 45001, which may help the organization to understand What is ISO 45001 Health & Safety Management System?
Requirements of ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management System
Context of the Organization
As per the requirement Context of the organization – when the organization planning of implementation of OHS Management System, the organization look in to the context of the organization in relation with Occupation Health & Safety management of the organization. The Following should be considered as context of the organization (But not Limited)
- Identification the Internal and External issues of the organization and address them
- Identification of the Needs and expectations of Workers and Interested party in context of Occupational Health Safety.
- Identify the activities, products, services and physical locations which are to be covered under the OH & S Management System
- Identify the documents needed for processes, activities which could improve the OH & S Management System
The above points to be considered while implementation of requirements of Context of the organization.
Leadership and Worker Participation
The requirement of Leadership and Worker Participation of OHS Management System are given below – which could help the organization to understand the requirements of ISO 45001 and do the effective implementation of Occupational Health & Safety Management System-ISO 45001
As per requirement of Leadership and Worker Participation
The Top Management of the organization takes the overall responsibility and accountability of OH&S Management System to provide safe and Healthy workplace to worker and others who are affected by the activities of the organization. Ensure the safe and Health workplace, the Top Management of the organization take the Leadership by
- Establishing the OH&S Policy and Objective
- Making the arrangement of Necessary resources for improvement of OH & S Management System.
- Making awareness and Communication about Occupational Health & Safety
- Supporting the Employee & Worker for their participation enhancement of OH&S Management System of the organization.
- Motivating the Team for Enhancement of OHS performance of the organization
- Establishing the Role, Responsibility and Authority at each level of Employee & Workers for Occupational Health and Safety
- Motivate the Workers, Supervisor and Managers for their participations and Consultations for OHS related activities i.e They should involved in OHS Hazard Identification, OHS Risk Analysis, Implementation of Controls to reduce the OHS Risk, Identification and Implementation OHS Legal Requirements, involve in establishing the OHS policy & Objectives and Monitoring the OHS performance.
Actions to address Risks and Opportunities
As per the requirements of Actions to address Risks and Opportunities, the organization shall do the Analysis of Risk and Look for the potential Opportunity for further Enhancement of OHS performance of the organization.
The Following are the requirements of Actions to address Risks and Opportunities, which could be taken into consideration by the organization while implementation OHS Management System
- OHS Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment
- Assessments of OHS Risk and Other Risk to OHS Management System
- Assessment of OHS opportunity and Other OHS opportunity to OHS Management System
- Risks Assessment of Internal & External issues
- Identification of Applicable OHS Legal and other requirements and ensuring the its compliances within the organization.
As per the requirements of Operation – which Includes the Operational Planning Controls related to Occupational Health Safety Management System which includes the key activities in relation to OHS Management System are
- Elimination of OHS Hazards and reducing the Risk of OHS Hazards which are significant to Human Injury / Accidents.
- Management of Changes – If there is any change in infrastructure / Resources in the organization, Then Look for Potential OHS Hazards and take the necessary actions to reduce the its OHS Risk
- Procurement, Contractor , outsourcing and Sub- Contractors- The organization look the activities of Procurement of products, Contractor and Sub- Contractors- activities – Find the any Potential OHS Hazards and take the necessary cation to reduce the OHS Risk.
- Emergency Preparedness and Response – The Organization should make the preparedness for Potential Emergency Situations related OHS – For Example – accidents, Fire etc
As per the requirements of Performance evaluation – The organization Look for Overall OHS performance of the organization. While OHS performance evaluation the organization shall take into account of following activities, but it is not Limited.
- Compliance to Legal Requirements and Evaluation of Compliances
- OHS Hazards, OHS Risk & Opportunity
- Improvement of Operational Controls
- OHS Objectives
The requirements of Improvement while implementing the OHS Management System, the following to be considered as Improvement
- Incident, nonconformity and corrective action
- Continual improvement
Apart from the above specific OHS requirements, the organization shall do the Proper Documentation of OHS Manual, Policy, Procedures Internal Audit, Management Review meeting.
What are benefits of ISO 45001 Certification?
There may benefits of ISO 45001 Certification for the organization, the benefits of Occupational Health Safety Certification could be
- Overall OHS Performance of the organization improves
- Reduces the OHS Risk
- Reduces the accident, Incidents
- OHS Legal compliance enhanced
- Overall Productivity of the organization will be improved
ISO 45001 Certification Process
ISO 45001 Certification process – The steps of ISO 45001 Certification process are as follow
- Implements ISO 45001 – Occupational Health Safety Management System in the organization
- Conduct the Internal Audit and Management Review meeting
- Apply to Accredited ISO Certification Body – who provides ISO 45001 Certification
- ISO Certification Body will visit your organization to conduct the ISO 45001 Certification Audit. If they Found that your organization OHS Management is complying the Certification requirement – Your organization will be recommended for ISO 45001 Certification by Audit Team Leader.
- After the Recommendation – ISO Certification Body will do the internal Review and Certification decision process and the Certification of ISO 45001 will be granted to your organization.
For More Information about ISO 45001 Certification, watch the Video provided below for your reference.