This blog, we are writing keeping in view for the organization who are new about Occupational Health and Safety Management System ISO 45001 Standard. We will try to cover a complete general requirements Occupational Health and Safety Management System (ISO 45001:2018 Standard ) – Such as overview of ISO 45001 standard , Why it is necessary for an organization , benefits of ISO 45001:2018 implementation and Certification , Requirements of ISO 45001 , Documentation requirements of ISO 45001 including Certification process of ISO 45001 – So that this blog can be A complete Guide for ISO 45001 Certification for Beginners and the user organization have better understanding , while planning for adopting ISO 45001 for Implementation and ISO 45001 Certification.
The main aim of this blog to create the awareness and Importance of Occupation Health and Safety Management in the user Industry, Business organization. So that they can take well in advance decision & necessary action to improve the overall OHS performance of the organization and improve the productivity of the organization.
First of all, lets, understand all about Occupational Health and Safety Management System – ISO 45001:2018, Its requirements and advantages for the organization.
What is An Occupational Health and Safety Management System -ISO 45001 Certification Standard?
ISO 45001 Standard is an Occupational Health and Safety Management System published by international organization of Standardization (ISO) in year 2018 after replacement of OHSAS 18001:2007. The Guideline on Occupational Safety and Health Management – ILO -OSH-2001 has been taken as reference inputs for designing and development of this OHSMS. International Labour organization (ILO) is an international organization, the main objective of ILO to provide the directions and Guideline to the organization to provide safe working environments at organization level for protection of workers from occupational illness, disease, and injury. Injuries and illnesses are not inherent to the profession, and neither is a worker’s lack of pay.
Due to rapid technological innovation and intense competition, working conditions, labour practices, and organisational structures change rapidly in today’s world. Legislation is vital, but it is unable to address these developments or keep up with new risks and dangers on its own. Organizations also need to be able to consistently address issues with occupational safety and health and build practical solutions into flexible management plans.
Considering the protection of Health and Safety of the workers at work place, ISO has developed and published the ISO 45001 Standard – which can be adopted for implementation in the organization, irrespective of Size, nature and activities of the organization to enhance the over all OHS performance of the organization. The positive impact of introducing occupational safety and health (OSH) management systems at the organization is the reduction of hazards and risks and enhance the OHS Performance and productivity.
Now we understand the what is an Occupational Health and Safety Management System -ISO 45001 Standard and how it can be a beneficial for the organization for implementation and ISO 45001 Certification.
What are the requirements of ISO 45001 for implementation of Occupational Health and Safety Management System?
The organization planning for ISO 45001 implementation in the organization for improvements of OHS performance of the organization can refer the ISO 45001:2018 standard and Guideline on Occupational Safety and Health Management – ILO -OSH-2001, to more detailed requirement clause wise. But for ready reference of user, the key requirements of ISO 45001 are provided below, which can help the organization for better understanding of important requirements of ISO 45001 for implementation, documentation and ISO 45001 Certification.
The Key Important requirements of ISO 45001 are
- Development of OHS policy and Objective
- Establishing the SOP for monitoring the process and Functions
- Identification of Internal and External Issues of the organization – which are affecting the Occupational, Health and Safety of the organization
- Identification of OHS Hazards and its Risk Analysis
- Identification need and Expectations of Workers & interested Party
- Providing the Training to all the workers on Occupational Health Safety, OHS policy and Objectives including trained on all aspects of OSH, including emergency arrangements, associated with their work.
- Identification of applicable Occupational Health & Safety regulations (OHS Legal Requirements) and other OHS requirements
- Worker participation and organization shall ensure that workers and their safety and health representatives are consulted.
- Ensuring that employees and their safety and health representatives have the time and resources necessary to actively participate in the processes involved in organising, planning, implementing, evaluating, and taking corrective action to improve the OSH management system.
- Identification of Potential Emergency situation and development of its preparedness
- Risk Analysis of Internal External Issues, Significant OHS Hazards and OHS Legal Requirements
- OHS performance Monitoring
- Development Internal Audit system for implemented OHSMS
- Development of Management Review System
- Develop the procedure for reporting, investigating and taking action, to determine and manage incidents and nonconformities and corrective action
What are the Document and records required to be maintained by the organization to demonstrate the Implementation of ISO 45001 standard and further for ISO 45001 Certification?
This is a very common question for any organization who are new about ISO 45001:2018 Standard. So, it is advised to new user organization who are planning for ISO 45001 Certification after implementation of OHSMS, they can refer the above ISO 45001 requirement along with ISO 45001:2018 Standard and maintain the documents and record accordingly. Because the Documents & record requirement of ISO 45001 can vary organization to organization, depends on the Size, nature & activities of the organization, but some of the Documents & records are most common for ISO 45001 are
The Key Important Documents & Record for ISO 45001 Certification
- OHS Policy & Objective
- SOP of Key Process /Functions
- Record of OHS Hazard Risk Analysis
- Record of Risk Analysis of Internal , External Issues , Singnificants OHS Hazards , Need & Expectation of workers /Interested Party and OHS Legal Requirements
- Legal Register and Compliance of OHS Legal and Other requirements
- Record of emergency prevention, preparedness and response
- Record of OHS performance monitoring and measurement
- Record of investigation of work-related injuries, ill health, diseases and incidents.
- Record of Non-Conformity and corrective action
- Record of Internal Audit
- Record Management Review meeting
- Record of Worker Participation and Consultations
- Record of Worker Health Check -up and Monitoring
These are the Key Important documents/Record must maintain in the organization for ISO 45001 Certification, irrespective of nature of activities of the organization, apart from these documents, there may be several other documents may be required by the organization as per ISO 45001:2018 Standard, which can also be maintained in the organization, but these documents are important for ISO 45001 Certification, which must require to maintained in the organization.
How to get ISO 45001 Certification?
After the implementation of ISO 45001:2018 standard and maintaining the required Documents & records of Compliance, the organization may apply to ISO Certification and get the Proposal for ISO 45001 Certification to know the Cost ISO 45001 Certification. Once the Cost of ISO 45001 Certification provided by ISO Certification Body is accepted. The Following ISO 45001 Certification process will be followed by Certification Body. So that the organization an get ISO 45001 certification.
Steps for ISO 45001 Certification
- Receipt of Application for ISO 45001 Certification
- Planning for on-site Audit
- On-site Audit on implemented ISO 45001:2018 Standard
- Audit Report Preparation and submit the Certification Body by the OHSMS Auditor
- Certification Decision and Issue of ISO 45001 Certification to Client Organization.
These are the general process of ISO 45001 Certification to get Certification.
What are the Benefits of ISO 45001 Certification?
While choosing the ISO 45001 standard for implementation, the business organization has the questions, what are the benefits of ISO 45001 Certification as new user organization. As Explained above, there are several potential benefits for ISO 45001 Certification to the organization, but most prominent benefits are
- Reduced the Accident, Incidents and ill -Health of the workers
- Improve the OHS performance of the organization
- Improve the Productivity of the organization
- Improve the OHS Legal Compliances
- Enhance the Credibility and Reputation of the organization