In this blog, we are writing to keep in view the organization that is new to Occupational Health and Safety Management System ISO 45001 Standard. We will try to cover the complete general requirements Occupational Health and Safety Management System (ISO 45001:2018 Standard ) – Such as an overview of the ISO 45001 standard, Why it is necessary for an organization, the benefits of ISO 45001:2018 implementation and Certification, Requirements of ISO 45001, Documentation requirements of ISO 45001 including Certification process of ISO 45001 – So that this blog can be A Complete Guide for ISO 45001 Certification for Beginners and the user organization have a better understanding while planning for adopting ISO 45001 for Implementation and ISO 45001 Certification.
The main aim of this blog is to create awareness of the Importance of Occupation Health and Safety Management in the user Industry, Business organizations. So that they can take well in advance decisions & necessary action to improve the overall OHS performance of the organization and improve the productivity of the organization.
First of all, let’s understand all about Occupational Health and Safety Management System – ISO 45001:2018, Its requirements, and its advantages for the organization.
What is An Occupational Health and Safety Management System -ISO 45001 Certification Standard?
ISO 45001 Standard is an Occupational Health and Safety Management System published by the international organization of Standardization (ISO) in the year 2018 after the replacement of OHSAS 18001:2007. The Guideline on Occupational Safety and Health Management – ILO -OSH-2001 has been taken as reference inputs for designing and developing this OHSMS. International Labour Organization (ILO) is an international organization, the main objective of ILO is to provide directions and Guidelines to the organization to provide safe working environments at the organizational level for the protection of workers from an occupational illness, disease, and injury. Injuries and illnesses are not inherent to the profession, and neither is a worker’s lack of pay.
Due to rapid technological innovation and intense competition, working conditions, labour practices, and organizational structures change rapidly in today’s world. Legislation is vital, but it is unable to address these developments or keep up with new risks and dangers on its own. Organizations also need to be able to consistently address issues with occupational safety and health and build practical solutions into flexible management plans.
Considering the protection of Health and Safety of the workers at the workplace, ISO has developed and published the ISO 45001 Standard – which can be adopted for implementation in the organization, irrespective of size, nature, and activities of the organization to enhance the over all OHS performance of the organization. The positive impact of introducing occupational safety and health (OSH) management systems in the organization are the reduction of hazards and risks and enhance the OHS Performance and productivity.
Now we understand what is an Occupational Health and Safety Management System -ISO 45001 Standard and how it can be beneficial for the organization for implementation and ISO 45001 Certification.
What are the requirements of ISO 45001 for the implementation of the Occupational Health and Safety Management System?
The organization planning for ISO 45001 implementation in the organization for improvements of OHS performance of the organization can refer to the ISO 45001:2018 standard and Guideline on Occupational Safety and Health Management – ILO -OSH-2001, to more detailed requirement clause wise. But for ready reference of users, the key requirements of ISO 45001 are provided below, which can help the organization for a better understanding of important requirements of ISO 45001 for implementation, documentation, and ISO 45001 Certification.
The Key Important requirements of ISO 45001 are
- Development of OHS policy and Objective
- Establishing the SOP for monitoring the process and Functions
- Identification of Internal and External Issues of the organization – which are affecting the Occupational, Health, and Safety of the organization
- Identification of OHS Hazards and its Risk Analysis
- Identification of needs and Expectations of Workers & interested Party
- Providing Training to all the workers on Occupational Health Safety, OHS policy, and Objectives including training on all aspects of OSH, including emergency arrangements, associated with their work.
- Identification of applicable Occupational Health & Safety regulations (OHS Legal Requirements) and other OHS requirements
- Worker participation and organization shall ensure that workers and their safety and health representatives are consulted.
- Ensuring that employees and their safety and health representatives have the time and resources necessary to actively participate in the processes involved in organizing, planning, implementing, evaluating, and taking corrective action to improve the OSH management system.
- Identification of Potential Emergency situation and development of its preparedness
- Risk Analysis of Internal External Issues, Significant OHS Hazards, and OHS Legal Requirements
- OHS Performance Monitoring
- Development Internal Audit system for implemented OHSMS
- Development of Management Review System
- Develop the procedure for reporting, investigating, and taking action, to determine and manage incidents and nonconformities and corrective action
What are the Document and records required to be maintained by the organization to demonstrate the Implementation of ISO 45001 standard and further for ISO 45001 Certification?
This is a very common question for any organization that is new to ISO 45001:2018 Standard. So, it is advised to new user organizations who are planning for ISO 45001 Certification after implementation of OHSMS, can refer to the above ISO 45001 requirement along with ISO 45001:2018 Standard and maintain the documents and record accordingly. Because the Documents & record requirements of ISO 45001 can vary from organization to organization, depending on the Size, nature & activities of the organization, some of the Documents & records that are most common for ISO 45001 are
The Key Important Documents & Records for ISO 45001 Certification
- OHS Policy & Objective
- SOP of Key Process /Functions
- Record of OHS Hazard Risk Analysis
- Record of Risk Analysis of Internal, External Issues, Significant OHS Hazards , Need & Expectation of workers /Interested Party and OHS Legal Requirements
- Legal Register and Compliance of OHS Legal and Other requirements
- Record of emergency prevention, preparedness, and response
- Record of OHS performance monitoring and measurement
- Record of investigation of work-related injuries, ill health, diseases, and incidents.
- Record of Non-Conformity and corrective action
- Record of Internal Audit
- Record Management Review meeting
- Record of Worker Participation and Consultations
- Record of Worker Health Check -up and Monitoring
These are the Key Important documents/Record that must maintain in the organization for ISO 45001 Certification, irrespective of the nature of activities of the organization, apart from these documents, there may be several other documents that may be required by the organization as per ISO 45001:2018 Standard, which can also be maintained in the organization, but these documents are important for ISO 45001 Certification, which must require to maintained in the organization.
How to get ISO 45001 Certification?
After the implementation of the ISO 45001:2018 standard and maintaining the required Documents & records of Compliance, the organization may apply for ISO Certification and get the Proposal for ISO 45001 Certification to know the Cost of ISO 45001 Certification. Once the Cost of ISO 45001 Certification provided by the ISO Certification Body is accepted. The Following ISO 45001 Certification process will be followed by Certification Body. So that the organization can get ISO 45001 certification.
Steps for ISO 45001 Certification
- Receipt of Application for ISO 45001 Certification
- Planning for on-site Audit
- On-site Audit on implemented ISO 45001:2018 Standard
- Audit Report Preparation and submit the Certification Body by the OHSMS Auditor
- Certification Decision and Issue of ISO 45001 Certification to Client Organization.
These are the general process of ISO 45001 Certification to get Certification.
What are the Benefits of ISO 45001 Certification?
While choosing the ISO 45001 standard for implementation, the business organization has the question, what are the benefits of ISO 45001 Certification as a new user organization? As Explained above, there are several potential benefits of ISO 45001 Certification to the organization, but the most prominent benefits are
- Reduced Accident, Incidents, and ill -Health of the workers
- Improve the OHS performance of the organization
- Improve the Productivity of the organization
- Improve the OHS Legal Compliances
- Enhance the Credibility and Reputation of the organization