ISO 14001 can bring forth a better performance with regard to your organization’s environmental performance. Moreover, it helps the whole staff members, from the top management to the laborers, understand the key importance of the implementation of this certification in your organization.
The benefits an organization can reap vary as it depends on how you implement it, but here are some benefits you can enjoy.
1) Practicing environmental management
ISO 14001 requires for your organization to adopt a strategic approach toward environmental management. It enables your company to understand and track down all the risks and opportunities by taking into account the various aspects affecting your organization’s environmental performance.
2) Enhanced environmental performance
Your organization will enjoy advantageous preference over your competitors due to you taking the required steps for better environmental performance. Efficient environmental management will decrease the risks of regulatory fines. It will also help you identify opportunities in order to be cost-effective.
3) Aids you to comply with legal requirements
The implementation of ISO 14001 helps your organization to easily comply with the legal environmental requirements that apply to various processes.
It provides a systematic framework that helps in identifying and showing compliance with the requirements. Perhaps you might already be complying with some of the legal requirements but ISO 14001 also helps you to maintain compliance. This shows that your organization has a robust system of complying with various regulatory requirements and that you also care for the environment.
4) Enhance the Image
To some extent, consumers are starting to show a preference for products or services that are proven to be environmentally safe. Therefore, by having a solid and proven environmental system to control the environmental impacts of your products or services, you are likely to enjoy an added benefit. This will help you to improve the image of your organization and also at the same time increase the trust the consumers put in your products or services.
ISO 14001 requires the higher up members of the organization to show active participation in order to ensure that the standards are met. This will bring forth more involvement of the higher-ups and also increase communication among the staff members of the organization. It will enhance the performance of the Environmental Management System (EMS), allow your organization to save up on costs, and leads to a reduction of waste.
6) Reduce employee turnover
Bringing forth better engagement among the employees in regard to the implementation of better environmental improvements. This enables the employees to get more engaged in other aspects of the organization too. Engaging employees in a group effort to improve the environmental impact of the organization will result in the increased focus of the employees. This will often lead to the retention of employees which is less expensive and favorable than recruiting new ones and training them.
One of the reasons to implement an environmental management system using ISO 14001 is to improve the negative impact of your organization’s products or services on the environment. It helps you to re-evaluate your current environmental system and understand the changes that need to be adopted in order to bring forth improvement in your environmental performance and more success.
The implementation of ISO 14001 helps the organization meets the requirements of ISO 14001 Certification
Many users are in question about How to get ISO 14001 certification?
To get ISO 14001 Certification, the Following steps can be followed by the organization
- Implement the ISO 14001 requirements
- Develop the EMS Policy & Objectives
- Develop the Procedures of different processes/Functions of the organization – How to maintain the Environmental Management
- Do the Environmental Aspects and Impact Analysis
- Identify the Application of Environmental regulations applicable to the organization and get consent from the Regulatory Body
- Identify the Internal and External Issues & Needs and Expectations of Interested Party
- Do the Risk Analysis considering – Identifying the Internal and External Issues & Needs and Expectations of the Interested Party, Legal Requirements, and Significant Environmental Aspects
- Identify the Potential Emergency Situations and do a Mock Drill
- Do Internal Audit
- Do Management Review Meeting
ISO 14001 Certification
Once the above Documents and Implementation are completed, apply to CAB (i.e OSS Certification ) and get ISO 14001 Certified.
What are the ISO 14001 requirements?
ISO 14001 requirements – As per ISO 14001:2015 Standard – There is 10 Clause in the Standard – But the requirements for Implementation and ISO 14001 Certification are provided in Clause no. 4 to Clause no.10
ISO 14001 Requirements – summary provided below for Understanding
- Context of the Organization
- Environmental Policy
- Organizational roles, responsibilities, and authorities
- Actions to address risks and Opportunities
- Environmental Aspects
- Compliance Obligations
- Operational planning and control
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Monitoring, measurement, analysis, and Evaluation
- Evaluation of Compliance
- Internal Audit
- Management Review