What is ISO 22000?
ISO 22000 is a Food Safety Management System
There exists an international standard in the food industry that ensures that organizations understand what quality assurance is and why preventive food safety measures need to be implemented. This standard is called ISO 22000.
ISO 22000 brings forth many opportunities and benefits for companies in the food business. They are more open to competing in the markets. ISO 22000 is perhaps the level that the companies must achieve in order to be able to compete in the regional or global markets.
Which company can opt for ISO 22000?
ISO 22000 can be implemented by any company or business which is associated with the food industry in general.
ISO 22000 is designed in such a way that it can be integrated into a company’s existing management system or it can be implemented alone.
How does ISO 22000 work?
ISO 22000 covers the entire span of the food industry supply chain. It provides the framework that is required for businesses to meet multiple food safety standards.
ISO 22000 integrates the seven principles of the HACCP plan which help to track down food hazards and take precautionary measures before they pose a threat to the health of the consumers.
The seven principles of the HACCP plan are as follows:
1) Hazard Analysis
2) Critical Control Point
3) Critical Limit
5) Corrective Action
What are the benefits of implementing ISO 22000?
The benefits of implementing ISO 22000 are as follows:
1) Brings forth more profit
2) Reduces costs
3) Increases trust of the customers in your food products
4) Efficiency in the documentation and record-keeping of procedures and processes
5) Allows taking necessary actions at the right time to prevent any risks or defects
6) Continuous improvement of Business
7) Enhances confidence of stakeholders and suppliers
8) Globally recognized
9) Improvement in the utilization of resources
10) Provides a competitive advantage
11) Fewer errors and customer complaints
12) Compliance with legal requirements
13) Improved performance overall
What are the requirements of ISO 22000?
The requirements of ISO 22000 are as follows:
1) ISO 22000 requires for a food safety policy to be set in place, devised by top management.
2) You have to set up objectives or goals that will push your company to show compliance with this policy
3) You have to plan a management system, and document and maintain records in the system.
4) Install a group of qualified individuals to make up the Food Safety Team and hold meetings to analyze the performance of the management system.
5) Have an emergency plan to back you up.
6) Ensuring that adequate resources are made available for the proper implementation of the standards.
7) Complying with the HACCP principles.
8) Implementing a traceability system for the identification of the products.
9) Setting up a corrective action system.
10) Retaining documentation for the departure of products.
11) Continuously improving the management system set in place.
12) Establishing an internal audit program.
ISO 22000 Certification
ISO 22000 Certification- This is Food Safety Management System Certification, basically the Food Safety Certification required to the organization – that is in Food Supply Chain Business. The Food Supply chain Business -Could be – Manufacturer, Supplier, Service provider, etc
Once the organizations implemented the Food Safety Management System requirements in the organization, they can apply to any ISO Certification Bodies to get ISO 22000 Certification.
ISO 22000 Certification Cost
Many organizations have questioned the ISO 22000 Certification Cost – we want to clarify you that as such the Cost of ISO 22000 Certification are depend on the many factors
- Number of Employees/ Food Handlers
- Number of Production Lines in the Organisation or number of product range / Service ranges in the organization
- Number of HACCP plans in the organization
- Number of Units
So These are the basic reference of any ISO Certification body to calculate the Audit Manday Rate and ISO 22000 Certification Cost. But some other factors also may affect the ISO 22000 Certification Cost – Like accreditation and reputation of the ISO Certification Body.
As such we can say that ISO 22000 Certification Cost is not fixed it can be negotiated from CAB to CAB
The HACCP Certification is also a Food Safety Certification based on Compliance Verification – Where the organization implements the HACCP principles in the organization. The ISO Certification Body varies the compliance of the HACCP principle in the organization and provides the necessary compliance certification.