What is ISO 22000?
ISO 22000 is an internationally recognized standard which defines all the requirements of a food safety management system. It provides guidelines of what an organization must do in order to enhance its ability of controlling food safety hazards so that the safest end result is delivered to the consumers.
In other words, ISO 22000 provides a systematic framework for the development and continuous improvement of an organization’s food safety management system within the manufacturer’s associated risks.
Who can opt for ISO 22000?
All direct and indirect food chain stakeholders can opt for the ISO 22000 certification. The size, whether big or small, of the organization has no role to play whatsoever in the way of getting the certification of ISO 22000.
ISO 22000 Certification is meant for any party which is related to the food industry or the food chain.
Compliance and effective implementation of the standard is all there is for your organization to get the certification of ISO 22000.
Why should you seek for ISO 22000 certification?
By getting ISO 22000 certified, your organization showcases that they have an effective food safety management system set in place. This will in return, increase the credibility of your customers and investors.
Moreover, it helps you to have a focussed and efficient food safety management system in place which is normally required by legal obligations.
It also helps for your organization to provide more transparency due to the reduced risks of food related hazards and risks.
What are the steps for deploying ISO 22000?
The steps for deploying ISO 22000 are highlighted below:
1) Knowledge of the background and direction (i.e. having an understanding of the organizations strategic decisions and the expectations of the relevant interested parties.)
2) Defining the management system.
3) Establishing a good hygiene practice.
4) Carrying out a HACCP study.
5) Setting up the management system.
6) Await and manage effectively any crisis.
7) Keeping tabs on the efficiency of the management system.
8) Round-the-clock improvement of the management system.
What are the benefits of implementing ISO 22000?
There are numerous benefits you can reap from getting the certification of ISO 22000. Some of them are highlighted below:
1) Enhanced credibility of the relevant parties.
2) Improved public image.
3) Greater marketing opportunities.
4) Reduction in food related risks and hazards which can potentially bring down your company.
5) Improved utilization of the resources.
6) Demonstrate compliance with all the food regulatory obligations.
7) ISO 22000 is a globally recognized standard. As such, obtaining its certification helps your company to enjoy the preference of larger food producers.
8) Working towards the ISO 22000 certification will help introduce your business to internationally recognized procedures.
9) It will also help for your organization to enjoy the upper hand in case situations arise where the food safety of both the products and the production processes are questioned.
10) You will be able to maintain consistence in meeting the standards of customer satisfaction.
Therefore, the ISO 22000 standard is a great way of implementing a systematic functioning in your organization and also helps in the clear identification of tasks and responsibilities. This standard will help you to gain the upper hand against any marketing competitors. Therefore, the benefits of getting certified for ISO 22000 should be considered.